Monday, October 24, 2016

First Grade Math Information

Dear Math Families,

I wanted to take this opportunity and introduce myself to all math families since we just completed our parent-teacher conferences and the teachers typically  do not meet with the parents of children in other home rooms.  My name is Maria McCormack and I am your child’s math teacher.  I am one of the 1st and 2nd grade teachers on Team Harmony.  I live in Underhill with my husband, 4 children (ranging in age from 17 to 3) and our dog Link.  

Our curricular math program at Allen Brook is called Bridges.  We feel very fortunate to provide this very interactive and constructivist program to your child. Throughout the year, your child will bring home a variety of  examples of the math work happening in our class.  This is the first year that we do not send home math homework so examples of the work from school will come home less often than before.  Your child will explore math concepts through a series of units.  Each unit has two components to it; a Number Corner component, and a Work Place component.  Your child will transition between different math games and learning activities by using a Work Place Planner.  This Work Place Planner stays with your child and in his/her math mailbox until the end of the unit when it comes home.  Your child will bring home his/her first WorkPlace Planner and math work sheets next week.  Please look for them in your child’s Friday Folder.

In an effort to stay connected more frequently, I wanted to let all families know that I periodically post about first grade math on my classroom blog, which can be reached at our Harmony Web-site or directly at http://harmonyblog2010-2011.blogspot.com/  As a result of no homework coming home, I will also start sending home newletters to families informing you of our current units of study and upcoming concepts.  Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have specific concerns or a desire to meet to discuss your child’s progress or daily math instruction. Thank you.

I have also created a Wiki page with many educational and fun math games.  Please check it out with your child.  Hopefully, you will find some games that will not only reinforce important math skills, but also spark an interest in mathematics! This wiki site can be reached on our Harmony web-site but also directly at http://inspirefirstgrade.pbworks.com/w/page/19992542/Math
If you wish to print specific math games for home use, please go to my printables at http://inspirefirstgrade.pbworks.com/w/page/19992541/Math%20Printables

I am looking forward to being your child’s math teacher this year!  Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.  We are off to a fantastic year already!
Maria McCormack, mmccormack@cssu.org

No comments:

Post a Comment